Sunday, March 11, 2012

OMG Shrimp

I LOVE shrimp. I mean LOVE them. They are so juicy and delicious and suck in whatever flavor you cook them with. My mom buys them from fishermen on the side of the road where she lives at the beach, but I prefer a pre-peeled and deveined version. They are delicious fresh, but I find the $5 frozen bag from Wal-Mart does the trick just fine. 
Roasting the shrimp makes them extra tender and juicy!
Baby girl and I have had a nasty cold all week, and John has been amazing taking care of both of us. I finally started to feel better yesterday and finally felt like cooking again! I cam across a recipe for roasted shrimp with lemon, garlic and herbs from Cinnamon Girl Recipes that I had to try. The original recipe calls for thyme, which I had none of so I improvised and changed things up just a little. I had some leftover spice blend from a Christmas leg of lamb that I pulled from Epicurious. This spice blend is so versatile, and has a smokey, lemoney smell to it, so I thought it would go nicely with the lemon in this recipe. I was right! I also added mushrooms and served this over orecchiette pasta. 

You will need:
1/4 cup Olive Oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 lemon, zested and sliced thin
1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tablespoon Tabil Spice Blend
prepared mushrooms - as many as you want!
salt & pepper

Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. In a large roasting pan or baking dish, add the olive oil, zest of the lemon and spice blend. Whisk together to blend well. Let this cook together in the oven for about 10 minutes, until fragrant and hot. Once done, add the butter, stirring it in until it melts. Then add the lemon slices, mushrooms and shrimp. Stir all ingredients until well coated. Put back in the oven for 10-12 more minutes until the shrimp are pink and starting to curl. Do not over cook!!! Serve over your favorite pasta, rice, vegetable, or just eat it right out of the pan if you can't make it to the table! It is that good. Enjoy!

We need a new camera something fierce.





No comments:

Post a Comment