Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Not My Mama's Brussels Sprouts

My mother HATED Brussels Sprouts, so I never got to experience their deliciousness until much too late in life. Although, I don't think I would have enjoyed them near as much when I was younger as I do now. We have tried quite a few recipes over the years, and this one, swiped from the Foodinista blog, and modified to our own tastes. It is SO delicious... the sprouts stay crisp but get unbelievably tender and the fennel just sends it over the top. One tip - don't leave out the sugar (Splenda makes a fine substitute if you're watching calories). It seriously makes a huge difference!

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large or 2 small fennel bulbs, julienned
2 lbs Brussels Sprouts cut in half
2 tablespoons sugar or 1 packet Splenda
1 cup chicken stock
2 shallots or 1 yellow onion (shallots are better but onion works just fine)
salt/pepper to taste

Melt butter and olive oil together in a large sauce pan. Add onions/shallots, fennel and sugar, saute until translucent. Add the sprouts and the stock, bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer until the sprouts are tender and the stock has reduced. Sprinkle with some of the leftover fennel greens to dress and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment